Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Mocca-Chooca-What the Hella-Lata Grande?

Well, the Cubs lost, again. Yahoo number 73 retained counsel, making my job exponentially harder. And, Youree Drive is turning into the strip mall capital of Louisiana. WoooHooo.

I was driving down the now infamous Youree drive, Shreveport's version of Rodeo Drive, when I noticed, yet another strip mall being built. Peddling the wares of 5 dollar cup of coffee with more syllables in the name than a Russian Novelist. Clothing stores promising the lasts style, for at least the next few weeks. Same style, color, and set up as the fifty others on the street. All of this nonsense can only be called one thing...Trendy.

I think I am one of the few who can remember driving down that street in the late summer and seeing miles and miles of cotton fields, hay bales, and livestock. The sun cresting over the trees as it sets, sending an orange hue over the fields. Southern Sunsets, southern smells, southern comfort. Now the only cotton you see is in the form of $75 designer T shirt, hay is gone because it has bugs, and the only livestock seen is between a bun covered with cheese. All made way so shreveport can be...Trendy.

I once heard that progress would eventually result in Dallas and Shreveport combining. One 2oo mile long city/metropolitan. People everywhere living in the concrete creation. Wow, I can't wait for that (pause for sarcasm to set in...ok). I was in Dallas last weekend and I noticed not an unkempt person around. Blonde Hair, Dark Skin, and Well Maintained. Dallas exists for those searching to be Trendy and Shreveport is falling in line, like the bastard son of East Texas, long to be...Trendy.

I myself am not without guilt. I admit I have succumb to the trendiness. I have convinced myself the $2.11 bottle of water is better than the $1.15...come on bottled water is bottled water. I search out the name brands, latest fashions, and obscure relics that will make me stand out in a positive social light. I find starbuck's coffee to not be as terrible as I first imagined. I am a coporate stooge, with coporate aspirations. I myself am attempting to be...Trendy.

But, I think I will tune it down and try to seek out more unique, special establishments. I will, try, to stay away from big guys, and support the local mom and pops. I will join the grass roots movement to make sure the city I live in has a little personality and doesn't become a carbon copy of Dallas. I will fight the power and not follow the trend, as much as I can. I think I will be satisfied with being...Original.

3 comments:

BrianH said...

you? trendy? in a PINK LACOSTE SHIRT?

never, not my dave.....

(pause for sarcasm to set in...ok)

bh

Granny said...

Wait til you see Whitefish!
But we always have choices. We can go to Polebridge!

Anonymous said...

I remember when Youree drive was fields. I also remember when my mom bought me Lacoste shirts as a child for a heck of a lot less than $75. When did the madness begin? - evr